Ian Thomas - Managing Consultant
A highly-experienced consultant with a wide ranging skill base, Ian has undertaken assignments for more than 130 government, airline, airport and aviation industry clients in his 15 years with CAPA Consulting. He specialises in the development of government and industry policy and strategic analysis.
Prior to joining CAPA Consulting, Ian had a twenty two year career as a journalist specialising in aviation, including:
- Contributing Editor for Air Transport World:
- Aviation writer for the Australian Financial Review:
- The Commercial Aviation Report (formerly through Lloyds List); and
- Airfinance Annual (Euromoney Institutional Investor).
Specialisation areas with CAPA Consulting:
- Government affairs and policy development;
- Bilateral and multilateral air services relationships and structures;
- Aviation and tourism industry reviews; and
- Airline and airport strategic analysis.
Since joining CAPA Consulting some important assignments have been:
- Heading a multi-disciplinary team developing a 5-year Business Plan for Pacific Aviation Safety Office under the World Bank's Pacific Aviation Investment Program;
- Establishing aviation sector strategies for Australian State and Federal Government, and Pacific island states;
- Developing the ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) Single Aviation Market and Regional Air Services Arrangements with Dialogue Partners for the ASEAN Secretariat;
- Review of Air Service Liberalisation for APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation); and
- South Pacific strategic aviation review for Asian Development Bank
Education qualifications:Graduate of Australian Securities Institute financial accounting and company courses
Professional Memberships:Member and former President, National Aviation Press Club (Australia)